Sunday, June 26, 2011

My star moment !

The IIFA craze was at it's peak after all the star gazing for the past two days and finally, it was 24th June- the day of IIFA rocks- The Fashion Show.  We had the passes for the green carpet event and wanted to reach Ricoh Coliseum as early as possible in order to get the best spot to see Shahrukh Khan as he had finally arrived. My morning started around 8 am and I was just getting ready as I had a hair cut appointment at 11 30 pm. I got a call from a guy at 9 30 am and that call changed my entire day.This is how -->
The guy was from Sahara one and Filmy channel and he had interviewed me a year back for one of my dance performances for a local community group. He asked me if I was interested in going to the IIFA awards show.In a very confused tone I told him how I already had a ticket and will be going to the show. He then asked me how I would feel meeting the stars and talking to them and without even thinking I said, ' I would LOVE that " and then he told me how he wants me to send my picture to this lady and he will have my media pass ready.

I could not believe it. I mean I was going to interview the stars ! I can't even say it's a dream come true because I never even thought about this. Jumping up and down I announced it to my family, ofcourse they were happy for me and I just got ready ASAP and went for my hair appointment and left to meet the guy. We had decided to meet at 5 pm at the green carpet venue and he finally arrived at 6 pm. Thankfully, nothing had happened till then.

I wore a grey formal dress with a pearl with beads necklace and small pearl earrings. I had got my bangs the same day cut, so my hair was set. We headed towards the media section and my cameraman (the guy who called me) somehow push me in the front right next to the City TV news on my right and Anokhi TV on my left. A little nervous now, stars had started arriving. RDB was amongst the first ones to come. I didn't ask them anything as I had butterflies in my tummy. I have no prior experience and it was my first time. So I decided to watch the anchors around me. I felt like a little child in between the two professionals beside me. They had their hair, make up and everything done so professionally and here I was on my first day as an anchor at the green carpet where I will be asking the biggest bollywood stars questions.

After watching the people around me, I decided to just go for it and I did. I was not nervous any more and I had started my evening as an anchor. I decided to ask every one these questions;
1) What do you have to say about having IIFA in North America and that too in Toronto for the first time?
2) How do you feel being in Toronto this evening ?
3) IS there something you want to tell all your fans out here ?

Basically, I kept it easy and simple for myself.

I don't remember who arrived first and whom I interviewed first. And I do not have any pictures or videos of this, so I am just going to share the moments that will stay with me forever. I am posting the pictures that I found on the official website and these are infact the dresses these stars were wearing that evening :)

I interviewed Dia Mirza. From my previous blog, you must have learned that I love her. She looked gorgeous in her nice long gown. I asked her my questions and she was in no rush. She replied to each one of them and I told her that she is gorgeous. She smiled and I was happy. I spent 2-3 minutes talking to her and that footage will be played on TV.
I spoke to Arshad Warsi. He walked in simple but yet looked so good. He is such a comedian in real life. I asked him the same questions and he answered them so perfectly. The anchor from anokhi asked him what he was wearing tonight. HE replied, "do you think this is a designer outfit ? " He is a funny man. He was enjoying the evening and he came back again to the media side and I decided to stop him not for an interview but to remind him about our lunch. I know he would not remember but I didnt care. I told him I owe him a lunch and he looked confused and asked me what I meant. And I reminded him of the Fairmont scene and he laughed his guts out. I felt so good. I actually shared a moment with Arshad Warsi.
I kept hearing people screaming Neha and I kept turning towards them confused thinking my friends were calling me from the crowd. Later did I realize that it was Neha Dhupia who had arrived and wa son the green carpet. She too was patient and gave me her time and answered my questions. She looked pretty too.
I had a good long conversation with Gulshan Grover, Javed Jaffrey, Sonu Nigam, Suresh Oberoi, and Bret Lee. They are such wonderful people. I felt really good being there. I mean if I was in the fan section, I would have just got an autograph or maybe a handshake. But here I got to talk to them, ask them whatever I wanted to ask (as the cameraman gave me no script) and be myself. (though I tried to be as professional as I could and I think I did a pretty well job )

I saw Bipasha Basu coming and she walked past me and I really wanted to talk to her, so I requested her to come and she did. How sweet ! And I interviewed her. Though, I asked her how she found Toronto since she had been here for more than week. And also, I questioned her about her favorite place and she said she loves Yorkville. She was charming.
I spoke to Sonakshi Sinha, Genelia D'Souza, Lisa Ray, Anil Kapoor, Irfan Khan, Vivek Oberoi and Boman Irani. I also spoke to Sonu Sood and my friends love him so I asked him to wave to his fans and he did :)


And there were many more whom I saw and wanted to talk to but I missed my chance. This made my day but you know what made it best ?

The crowds were roaring and that meant only one thing- The king khan had arrived. I got a glance of him and did not care about any thing. I had butterflies in my stomach again and my brain was working too fast figuring out what to ask him. I wanted to ask him some thing smart. I knew he was returning to IIFA after almost 7 years, he was returning to Toronto after a very long time too (he had done his show -temptations here), I knew he had a leg injury and yet was going to perform tomorrow, I was going to be attending the party he was going to make an appearance at that very same evening...too many thoughts ! And I saw him come so close and finally, he was answering the questions of the anchor next to me and I have no idea what she asked. I was REALLY nervous. I had been waiting all week to just get a glance of him and here I was with an opportunity to talk to him. I was turning a little red now. He then gave that anchor a little peck on her forhead and you can not imagine what I did. Any guess ?

I did not care about the interview and the fan in me was out. I asked him if I could get that too. I was scared now realizing I have to ask him questions as a reporter and not for a kiss. BUT SRK said, "yes, Darling" and gave me a kiss on my left cheek. I was RED, blank, and to recover from what I had done, I tried asking him a question but by then he was talking to the anchor of anokhi.

HE GAVE ME A KISS. SHAHRUKH KHAN GAVE ME A KISS. The guys around me (the cameramen from other channels started joking saying don't wash your face)



The anokhi girl asked questions and I put my mike with the Sahara one logo too towards SRK and I was a part of that interview. She asked him if his wife had picked up his suit for the evening and he said something...I dont remember. I was in my own world feeling so happy and trying to get my senses back.

This is what made my day the best. I can never forget this. I am trying to get the video as all the videos go to the head office and from there they release it on TV. I know they will not release that, but I hope they do. But I don't care. I had my moment with SHAHRUKH KHAN. He defined Raj for us and he is an idol. He is so charming in real life.





I met him later at sheraton but they had barriers there and I had made my way through the VIP section and he did come towards his fans. I got a good video shot of him. Me and my friend thought that he will just come and go at the party at Sheraton but he came and stayed for 1 30 hours and made a conversation. He gave the mike to the audience (in the VIP section) and they could ask questions. I so badly wanted to talk to him but didnt get the mike. A girl told me how her mom did see SRK kiss a girl on TV during the green carpet evening (I am really hoping it's me in the as I badly want the video)

What a wonderful weekend. I am going to post the videos in my next post. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment